Throughout our whole education journey, we constantly hear about scholarships and how
wonderful it is to be awarded one, but we almost never see how to really apply for one.
Depending on the sort of scholarship you are seeking for, the application might be extremely
complex or quite simple. There are many different scholarships available, and the greatest thing
about them is that anybody may apply for one. Some scholarships are only available to members
of particular groups, while others are available to all applicants. Everyone is able to receive one
no matter what, if you put in the work and work hard you will be able to receive one. Let’s go
through a few ways you can look for a scholarship!
1. Research the Types of Scholarships:
● Be knowledgeable about the scholarships you’ll apply to. Do research
if you need to!
● Apply to scholarships that connect with you
– Such as those that speak to your interests, background, and
● Look into scholarships that list your unique traits to help you stand out
from other candidates.
2. Complete All Requirements/Criterias:
● Make sure to read all of the scholarship details.
● Read carefully (don’t miss deadlines or requirements).
● It is essential to complete every part.
● If possible, turn in ahead of time, to prevent missing deadlines.
● Go above and beyond in your responses.
● Apply to as many scholarships as possible, don’t rely on just one!
● List unique traits about yourself! Don’t be afraid to be your own
4. Have Documents at Hand & Ready to Use:
● Letters of Recommendation
● Resume (updated and polished!)
● Get advice on your writing piece
– Have a few people revise your work.
5. Check in On the Scholarships:
● Follow up with any requirements that may be needed or missing.
● Check your emails regularly.
● Get in contact if necessary.
Make sure you’re authentic to yourself and just apply, you don’t lose anything!
We can’t believe we’re already halfway through the month of February! It’s never too early to get started on scholarship applications, that is why our team has put together yet another list of scholarships for you to take advantage of.
Again, if you’re new to the scholarship writing process, don’t worry we got you. The team over at Immigrants Rising created this Scholarship Essay Worksheet to help make the writing process easier for you. We hope this resource will help, be the first to access additional tips and tricks and college resources by following us on Instagram @gotocollegeca
Matsuo Bridge Company, Ltd. of Japan Scholarship
- Applicant must be a minimum of eighteen years of age.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma.
- Applicant must have a 3.0 overall G.P.A.
- Student must be enrolled full or part time in an accredited college or university in the United States.
- Applicant must submit all application information.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to an individual interested in pursuing a career in civil engineering, welding engineering, or welding engineering technology.
March 1, 2023
Horatio Alger Scholarship
- Be enrolled full time as a high school junior in the United States
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; and
- Be a United States citizen
This opportunity assists high school students who have faced and overcome great obstacles in their young lives. National Scholars receive an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, D.C., during the spring of their senior year to participate in the National Scholars Conference.
March 15, 2023
Dr. Horace Jackson Legacy Scholarship
*Riverside/San Bernardino Area students only
- Graduating senior from John W. North HS with a minimum 2.7 G.P.A.
- Show proof of full-time enrollment in a 2-year college and proof of full-time registration in classes at the start of each semester
- Completed FAFSA form
- Exhibit involvement in community and/or school activities, which may include participation in an Academy program at North High
This scholarship provides financial assistance in the form of scholarships to graduating high school students from John W. North who demonstrate a desire to continue learning and a deep commitment toward a better, more inclusive world.
March 31, 2023
David and Mary Hjorth Family Endowment Fund Scholarship
*Riverside/San Bernardino Area students only. To access the scholarship application and scholarship criteria, scroll to the designated scholarship and click [+] to learn more.
- Minimum 3.5 G.P.A.
- Minimum 30 credits of honors/AP level coursework, 20 of which must be in Junior and/or Senior year and completed by the first semester of senior year.
- Minimum of 50 hours Community Service
This scholarship offers one-time scholarships awarded to four students, who are graduating seniors of Upland High School and will be attending an accredited four-year college or university.
March 31, 2023